Shahadah (The Fiqh of Da‘wah)
- Course Outline
Did you just spend 80 minutes
trying to explain cross-gender handshakes, HIJAB, music & polygamy
all in one-sitting?
Guess who lead that conversation!
IT WASN’T YOU
You get these questions all the time:
- Hey, aren’t you hot in that hee-jaab?
- So why can’t you shake my hand again? How about a hug?
- 13 wives and the youngest was 9? Please explain this one.
- He can marry 4 times but she’s limited to 1? Why is that?
- How’s it fair that you need 2 women to count as 1 witness?
- If the religion is so humane, how can you justify amputation, capital punishment, and stoning? Sounds barbaric to me.
- And the questions are endless…
It seems that each time you think you addressed their concerns they come up with yet another question. It’s only a matter of time before you get stumped, start stuttering and come up with some half-hearted answer that leaves them even more unconvinced.
Have you considered that you might be doing it all wrong?
Unfortunately, many of us are doing Islam a disservice by venturing into the field of Da’wah without first learning the science of giving Da’wah. Yes, there’s a whole science of Da’wah!
AlMaghrib Institute is pleased to return one of its pioneering seminars:
Shahadah: Fiqh of Dawah
taught by an expert in the field
Living in the West, not only do we get ample opportunities to give Da’wah but it is all the more a responsibility we carry on our shoulders. Think of the last time you bumped into a non-Muslim who had an inquisitive stare at the unusualness of your appearance. Did you let that chance pass as yet another awkward moment?
Hold on, hold on! I’m no Da’iyah – this isn’t my role.
The Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wassalam) said:
بلغوا عني ولو آية
“Convey (my teachings) to the people even if it were a single sentence” Sahih Bukhari
“Dude, I can’t bring myself to do street Da’wah and speak to people. It’s just not me.”
In this seminar, Shaykh Kamal El-Mekki will first work on you!
That’s right – here’s some of what you’ll walk away with:
- Understand yourself and what type of Da’wah you fit in
- Capitalize on your strengths and overcome your weaknesses
- Revisit your initial intentions for the Da’wah
- Develop and improve your manners as a person
- Learn the power of words and their effectiveness on logic and emotion
- Learn the do’s and dont’s of giving Da’wah
- See many perspectives and gain a complete point of view
Ok, that’s great, but I don’t work with people who care
When Abdullah ibn Um Maktoum (ra), a blind Sahabi, approached the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wassalam) while he was giving Da’wah to the Mushrikeen, the Prophet frowned and turned away.
Allah (swt) then revealed in Surat ‘Abasa:
“But what would make you perceive, [O Muhammad], that perhaps he might be purified or be reminded and the remembrance would benefit him?”
Allah (swt) reminds us that we do not know what is in the hearts of people. It is upon us to convey the message and it is upon Allah (swt) to guide the hearts.
There are various types of people you face every day.
Shaykh Kamal will teach you how to customize your approach:
- Understanding the 3 personality types
- Overcoming their fear of change
- Reading people and being perceptive
- Utilizing cognitive dissonance & reciprocity to your advantage
- Addressing logical versus emotional needs
- Using stories both happy or sad at the appropriate times
- Learning the art of disarming jokes, praise or gifts
- Speaking to children & the art of building rapport
- Differentiating Da’wah to men & women and customizing communication with them respectively
Family comes first!
We’ve all done it! Neglected the family to give Da’wah to the neighbour; and neglected the neighbour to give Da’wah to the boss.
Yes, it happens. We get so indulged in giving Da’wah to a colleage that we lose the ability to connect with our family. Guiding to Allah by the Book is comprehensive, teaching you various Da’wah methods geared towards non-practicing Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists, and Polytheists.
Here’s some cool methods you’ll pick up in this seminar:
- Art of persuasion & negotiation skills
- Powerful ways to answer questions
- Changing behaviour and channeling thoughts
- Fixing the mindset & taking advantage of low/high points
- Golden rules of Da’wah and the Do’s & Dont's
- Knowing when to walk away
- Preparing strong answers for controversial topics
Shaykh Kamal – Black Belt in Da’wah
You may have heard of the workshop “How to Give Shahada in 10 Minutes”, a popular 6-hour workshop by Shaykh Kamal El-Mekki dedicated to empowering MSAs and organizations in the art of Da’wah. Now times that by 7 and you get an intensive double-weekend seminar custom-fit to every scenario.
“Many of us have benefited from his dawah workshops and amazing lectures online! This is great, alhamdulilah.” - Rahma Jama, Columbus OH
“Shaykh Kemal ElMekki is the 'Don' when it comes to da'wah. Whether it be table da'wah, the cool guy getting the Shahadas or the man behind the “How to Give a Shahadah in Ten Minutes” -- he is the coolest da'wah machine in town!” - Alima Ashfaq, Birmingham UK
Who’s this seminar for? Rhetorical question – you, of course!
- College/high school students whether part of Islam Awareness or not
- Teachers in secular or Islamic schools
- Parents raising children in the West
- Professionals in non-Muslim environments
- Khateebs, Masjid board members, or activists
- Any Muslim living in the West
"Say, 'This is my way; I invite to Allah with insight, I and those who follow me. And exalted is Allah; and I am not of those who associate others with Him.'" - The Holy Qur'an, (12:108)
Give the most powerful heart-shaking Da’wah of your life.
See Where It's Being Taught Next!
SECTION 1: The Da‘wah
The Definition of Da‘wah
The Excellence and Virtues of Da‘wah
The Nature of Guidance
The Ruling on Giving Da‘wah
Determining the Goals of Your Da‘wah
For the Sake of Da‘wah
Studies vs. Barakah Fumes
The Types of Da‘wah
SECTION 2: The Dā‘iyah
- Are You Extroverted or Introverted?
- Akhlāq with Allāh
- Akhlāq with People
- Akhlāq with Yourself
The Do’s and Don’ts of Da‘wah
SECTION 3: The Mad‘u
Understanding People: The Three Personality Types
- The Commander
- The Thinker
- The Visualizer
Obstacles to Change
Cognitive Dissonance Theory
Logic vs. Emotion
The Art of Disarming
The Differences between how Men and Women Communicate
SECTION 4: The Calling
Logic vs. Emotion
- Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil
Changing Behavior, Changing Minds
The Tools & Techniques to Change People
Thinking Outside the Box: Fixing the Mindset
Low Point / High Point
‘Splaining Some Things
SECTION 5: Religions and Beliefs
Where’s the Truth?
The Senseless Evasion of the Muḥammad (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) Equation
- Why Atheism?
- The Philosophy of Science
- Seeing and Believing?
Hamburgers are My Lifestyle!