On Mostafa Khalifa, rahimahullah

It is with the heaviest of hearts that we inform our AlMaghrib family that one of its dearest and earliest members, indeed one of its pioneers, Mostafa Khalifa has passed away to the mercy of his Lord. Mostafa was the original Ameer of Qabeelat Durbah (New Jersey), and what an Ameer he was! Rahimahullah.

Mostafa had been battling illness for a number of years until this point and passed away tonight. Please make du’a for him from the deepest of your heart.

May Allah envelop Mostafa in His mercy, may his returning to his Lord in the month of Mercy be a good ending for Him, may his family be granted patience in their calamity, to Allah we belong and to Him we shall return.

Sh Yaser Birjas, in attendance at his funeral, said:

#‎MostafaKhalifa‬ a dear friend, a beloved brother and an amazing Ameer. Just passed away on a blessed night of Ramadan. Ya Allah forgive him.

Sh Yasir Qadhi said:

“One of my dearest students and someone whom I considered a close friend has just passed away an hour ago.

Br. Mostafa Khalifah from New Jersey, a righteous man (نحسبه كذلك ولا نزكي على الله أحدا) whom everyone who ever interacted with loved and respected and admired, passed away after battling with an illness. He leaves behind his mother and brother and sisters. Mostafa was a role model for many youth of the New Jersey area: a good student of knowledge, a social worker, a mentor for the teenagers, always cheerful and laughing, yet dedicated and hardworking.

What makes this tragedy even more painful is that his father recently passed away as well, hence this is a double tragedy for the family. Yet, the Khalifah family is known for its high morals and values, and I have no doubt in my mind that they are being tested because they are, insha Allah, worthy of passing that test, and so that their ranks are raised in this world and in the next.

What a fortunate death! To die in the last few nights of Ramadan, on an odd night, after Friday, and to die in a state that so many people genuinely love and respect you!

Ya Mostafa! You are now in a much, much better place insha Allah, but you will be sorely missed. The heart grieves, and the eyes cry, but we only say what pleases Allah: to Allah we belong and to Him we shall return!

O people, learn from this lesson. Our brother Mostafa was at the prime of his youth, yet the inevitable end that awaits us all came to him.

Please, make a special du’a for our brother Mostafa, and his family, and for all Muslims.”

Sh Muhammad AlShareef in tribute to his close friend, said:

“One of my closest friends passed away earlier today. Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji’oon. Mostafa Khalifa, from New Jersey, USA. He was one of the pioneers of AlMaghrib Institute, from back in 2003. I didn’t post earlier because I was in shock and in tears.

The first time I met Mostafa was at MSA East Zone conference n NJ, back in 2003. Two brothers wanted to bring AlMaghrib to NJ, but they said they were not the ones to lead it. They said if anyone was the man to lead AlMaghrib to success in NJ, it would be Mostafa.

Since then, many years of AlMaghrib work in NJ and nationally, and many years of performing Hajj together, Mostafa became someone I would consider as close as a blood brother.

When I taught NicheHero in London, UK in 2012, I invited Mostafa to attend. As an incentive, I told my dear beloved friend that he could share my apartment with me in London. Subhan Allah, that week teaching class with Mostafa accompanying me was one of the happiest most beloved times to me in my life. I was just thinking a few days ago in Ramadan that I wanted to teach another class in London, in the same place, in the same time of winter year, so that I could re-feel those beautiful memories I had with Mostafa back in 2012. (And everyone who took that class in 2012 in the UK knows Mostafa because his love, smile, and warm laughter was shared with everyone.)

The project Mostafa was working on “Talk to the Beard”, where he last posted publically, was actually a project he launched from NicheHero. We spent days in that London apartment discussing his community announcement project.

I’m in Madinah right now where I heard the news a few hours ago. At first there’s this massive shock, but when that wears out, you’re just left with constant flowing tears. And the thing that keeps repeating in my mind is the last four verses of surat AlFajr:

[To the righteous it will be said], “O reassured soul, Return to your Lord, well-pleased and pleasing [to Him], And enter among My [righteous] servants, And enter My Paradise.”]

And i’ve been thinking all day about Mostafa and thinking perhaps today this was said to him.

Mostafa always loved people to make Dua for him. Please continue pray for him today that Allah enter him into Jannatul Firdaws.

When his beloved father passed away two years ago, I said to Mostafa, look we hear in the news about how people become billionaires overnight when their companies go public, like what happened with Facebook at that time. I said, but that’s Dunya, and you’re father invested in the hereafter — this is HIS billionaire payout.

That’s what I said for Mostafa’s father two years ago, and today I say the same for my beloved friend Mostafa. May this day be the day YOU received your billionaire payout for all the pioneering work you did for the sake of Allah.

To Mostafa’s mother; Mohab, Melody, and Malik, I’m like your older brother and i’m here for you for anything you need.”

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to On Mostafa Khalifa, rahimahullah

1. Mohamed Salah says:

Inaa lilAllahi wa inaa ileyhi Raaji’oon. I write this with a heavy heart and constant tears. Mostafa Khalifa was a good man, a wonderful friend and an amazing brother in dawah. I met him through Shaykh Muhammad AlShareef and Almaghrib Institute, and i felt an immediate bond to him which i still have until now. He was a wonderful human being, who was full of life. I always looked forward to going to New Jersey because I always enjoyed spending time with him eating out and socializing. He was a beacon of happiness, he was always smiling and was always optimistic. His amazing outreach and dawah to the youth and with his effort and volunteerism, AlMaghrib Institute became the learning destination for young people and many young professionals in New Jersey, NY, and all over the United States. I am very proud to have known him and I thank Allah for making me cross paths with him.  With his family’s permission, I would like to suggest AlMaghrib Institute or his NJ community to set up a memorial fund in Mostafa’s name. InshaAllah we aught to care of all his medical bills and funeral expenses if any. We will all miss his naseeha, generosity and kindness. Please remember him in your duaas. O’Allah grant Mostafa Khalifa Jannatul al-Firdaus and make him a companion of the Prophets, the Mu’mineen, the Rigtheous, the Truthful people, and the Martyrs.

2. Mokbul says:

May Allah showers His mercy on his soal and enters him to Jannatul Firdous, Ameen !

3. Alex says:

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un.

I was blessed to have been friends with Mostafa for almost two decades. In that time we shared many beautiful memories, including attending the earliest AlMagrib seminars which he helped organize in NJ and having the honor of his and his family’s company at my wedding. In fact, one of the things Mostafa and the Khalifa family were well known for was their impeccable adab in joining their brothers and sisters at their important gatherings, even when they had to travel for several hours to do so.

Among the tremendous signs of Mostafa’s sincerity and acceptance with Allah is that he was uncompromising in matters of deen and yet he was beloved by Muslims of every stripe as well as many non-Muslims with whom he interacted personally and professionally.

The Messenger of Allah, salAllahu alayhi wasallam, instructs us that:
    “There is no deceased person on whom a group of people from the Muslims whose count reaches 100, are praying, interceding for him that except their intercession will be accepted.”

And in another narration: “He will be forgiven.”

Today, at his janazah, we bore witness to just how much Mostafa’s sincerity and commitment to brotherhood has meant to so many of us: It’s no exaggeration to say that I’ve never seen a janazah attended by so many people, all of whom were there because of how Mostafa had touched their lives, mashaAllah. The number of of Muslims supplicating for him exceded that given in the hadith many times over.
    Most of us learned that we’d lost our brother just a few hours before the janazah prayer, which took place right after salat al-Dhuhr. And yet the masjid was unable to fit all of those who came to pray for Mostafa, rahimahullah.

InshaAllah our dua and that of those who were unable to attend will be accepted.

Allaahumma ‘inna Mostafa fee thimmatika, wa habli jiwaarika, faqihi min fitnatil-qabri wa ‘athaabin-naari, wa ‘Anta ‘ahlul-wafaa’i walhaqqi. Faghfir lahu warhaw.hu ‘innaka ‘Antal-Ghafoorur-Raheem.
    Allaahummaghfir lahu warhamhu, wa ‘aafihi, wa’fu ‘anhu, wa ‘akrim nuzulahu, wa wassi’ mudkhalahu, waghsilhu bilmaa’i waththalji walbaradi, wa naqqihi minal-khataayaa kamaa naqqaytath-thawbal-’abyadha minad-danasi, wa ‘abdilhu daaran khayran min daarihi, wa ‘ahlan khayran min ‘ahlihi, wa zawjan khayran min zawjihi, wa ‘adkhilhul-jannata, wa. ‘a’ithhu min ‘athaabil-qabri wa ‘athaabin-naar.
    Ameen, ya Arhama Rahimin!

4. The Ashour Family says:

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

We would like to express our deepest condolences to the dear Khalifah family. We were surprised when we heard this news about a man we have always known to be righteous and warm-hearted.

Subhan Allah, he passed to His Lord in the blessed month of Ramadan, in its blessed final days, after what may have been Lailatul Qadr, allaylah al mubarakah. Allahu Abkar! How blessed he is!

When we have yaqeen that this life is inevitably meant to end in our passing away, it puts things into perspective, and we realize that the reasons for and the way of death do matter. Subhan Allah! Allah has given him husn al khitam in sha’ Allah, and that is an honor that we should all pray for.

We ask Allah to forgive his sins and purify him from them so that when he meets Him on the Day of Judgment, he will be like a new born. We ask Allah to make his grave a garden from paradise full of light and comfort. We ask Allah to make the Blessed Holy Qur’an his companion in the grave. We ask Allah to give him glad tidings of Jannatul Firdaws where he will recline on thrones with the Beloved Anbiya’ Salla Allahu wa sallama alaihim jamee’an.

He has passed to his Lord before us and in sha’ Allah we will be followers. We ask Allah to give us all husn al khitam and to take us from this world to Him in a state of repentance, Ameen.

To the dear Khalifah family: Mustafa’s mother, Muhab, Malik, and Melody:
    We ask Allah to give you patience and make Mustafa’s departure easy on you. We ask Allah to reward you for your patience in this world and the next. We ask Allah to shower His blessings and mercy on your family in this world and the next.

هو السابق ونحن ان شاء الله اللاحقون .. برحمة الله إلى الجنة

We will keep Mustafa and his family in our duaas, in sha’ Allah.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
    The Ashour Family: Mohammad, Sawsan, Abdullah, Isra, Asya, and Hud.