What’s Ashura and was it ever mandatory to fast it?

So what is this day, when is it, and could it possibly have been made FARD upon this Ummah at a given point in time?

Shaykh Waleed Basyouni reminds us about this very special day and the virtues of fasting on the Day of Ashura.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What’s Ashura and was it ever mandatory to fast it?

1. Umm Tasneem says:

Jazakomulahu_Khairan, Sheikh Basyouni, for such a great reminder. I especially appreciate the part where you speak about the fiqh of Ibn Abbas that the companions used to prioritize their deeds to achieve the maximum reward from Allah swt. Ameen to your du’a.

2. Syed says:

Assalamualaikum,

I wish Shaykh Waleed mentioned about fasting 2 days 9,10 or 10,11 of Muharram and not just about fasting on 10th of Aashura.

Correct me if i’m wrong here

JazaakAllah Khair

3. Dalia says:

Salam Alaykom,
    That was really helpful , I will be fasting Insha’Allah . I was expecting to touch upon the story of Ashura’A and what happened that day also.

4. Ali says:

I love the style of this sheikh; may ALLAH grant him and his family Jannah – and to all Muslims

5. Asli says:

Never really thought about it until I read this email. Now, i’m curious about the answer. I always thought it was mandatory to fast. Isn’t Ashura a day we should try to correct our wrong behaviors and ask Allah for forgiveness. But, why is this day more specific than any other day( we should be doing that everyday shouldn’t we).

6. 9th and 10th of Muharram are very pious and noble days. Many important events took place on these days. It is an act of belief and faith to fast on these two days and to recite Astagfar as much as possible. I fondly hope Muslims world-wide will observe the sanctity of these days. Inshallatala.

7. zafreen says:

Assalamu Alaykum

Are you able to suggest a good book on the Martydom of the Prophets Grandsons in this blessed month. This is just to get a Sunni perspective of the history, since we totally refrain from mentioning it!

JazakAllah Khair Shuyuks.

Walaykum Asalaams

8. Ahmed says:

Jazaka Allah Khair shaykh for the reminder. I lost track and didn’t know that we’re in Muharram already. I definitely will fast Ashoora insha Allah.

9. Shazia says:

Jazak Allah Khair for this reminder.

10. Saif says:

Inshallah i will fast Ashura day. May allah blase all of our brothers and sisters.
    Thanks you for sharing that info Shaykh Waleed Basyouni .

Regards

11. syed jamal hussain shah says:

SubhanAllah,the presentation of the importance of day of Ashura by Shaikh Waleed was excellant and authentic,Allah o barak fi.It is fact most of muslims dont know the importance of this day and are found involved in bidaa and dhalala.The reason behind it is people dont read not ask about true religion and get them selves involved in things and rituals forbidden in Islam.This is how the importance of daawa is very impotant.I want to register with Almaghrib Institute and get regular communication on Islam.I have given my email please let me know further details.wasslam.

12. Maryam says:

Masha’Allah, the scholars are the greatest friends to be with and learn from. This was beneficial, jazakum Allahu khayran.

13. Zaid says:

Very good I wish someone could tell me why day of Ashura is so special

14. Syeda Uzmaa says:

jazakAllah kher
    people didnt know why they are fasting on the 9th and 10th !
    may Allah accept our niyyah !